Child Dental Benefits Schedule: Dental Services Covered for Kids

Keeping your kids’ teeth healthy may not cost a cent…

According to the ADA, millions of Aussie kids are eligible for full or partial cover for dental services, but only one third of them are taking advantage of what’s available by the government.

The Child Dental Benefits Schedule covers Australian children aged between 2 to 17 who receive a government benefit such as the Medicare Benefit Part A. However, many people aren’t aware of the service and don’t take advantage of this potentially payment-free dental care for their kids’ teeth.

What you need to know:

  • Your kids may be eligible for free dental care
  • Accessing the CDBS is easy
  • Your children must be aged between 2 to 17 and eligible for Medicare
  • They must also be receiving or have a parent receiving government support
  • Each child could get up to $1000 of free dental over two years
  • Services covered include dental inspection, scale and clean, fluoride treatment, tooth extractionroot canal, fillings and fissure sealing


Don’t understand how it works? The CDBS is simple – and easy to claim. If you’re not sure if you’re eligible or how it works, call our reception team on (02) 6971 8764.

Are my kids eligible for CDBS?

Your kids will be eligible for CDBS providing they’re aged between 2 and 17, eligible for Medicare and also receive or has a parent who receives the following:

  • Family Tax Benefit Part A
  • Special benefit
  • Carer payment
  • Parenting payment
  • Youth allowance
  • Disability support pension
  • Help under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme if the child is aged between 16 to 17 years
  • Help under the Veterans’ Child Education Scheme (VCES) if a child is aged between 16 to 17 years

You don’t need to apply for CDBS.  If you’re eligible, the Australian government will send you a letter. You can be either:

  • a parent or guardian
  • an approved care organisation

Are you a teen?

If you’re a 17-year-old and have a partner, you can claim a CDBS in the calendar year if:

  • you’re 17 years old or younger for at least one day that year
  • your partner gets an eligible payment from the government

You can find out more about eligible payments by visiting the Department of Human Services

Where can I go to claim the CDBS?

You can claim CDBS at either a hospital or a private dental clinic like Marketplace Dental. Just give us a call on (02) 6971 8764 and let our reception team know that you want to use the CDBS.

Providing your child requires general dental services such as checkups, regular cleaning, tooth extractions, fillings or root canal therapy, we’ll bulk bill you, and you won’t have to pay any out-of-pocket expenses.

Don’t worry – before any treatment commences, we’ll always run through any possible expenses with you so you know in advance if you will have to pay any money.

Please note that you cannot use the CDBS for braces or orthodontic treatmentcosmetic dental procedures or any dental procedure performed in a hospital. You can use your benefit all at once or spread out over two years. However, if you have funds left over after the first year, your child must still be eligible in the second year.

How do I find out if I’m eligible?

To find out if you are/your child is eligible, call Medicare on 132 011 or visit the Department of Human Services website.

Book a Dental Appointment Today

Marketplace Dental is registered with all health funds and is a preferred provider with BUPA, HCF and Medibank Private.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hi there.

Want to get in touch?

Drop us a line